Thursday, May 01, 2008

501: A Dragon in Salisbury!

To His Grayce, the Bishop of St. Albans, with grayte hayste be this lettre tayke,

It is wyth grayte horror that I report a fell beest from Hell hath wraght grayte destructioun upon the manor whereupon I tende flock. Whilste I didst not see the mounstre, I have faithfully recorded heer the words of a goodlye villein of Sir Cassius, whose lande it wert that got attacked:

"I wert tayking a lame horse owt to pasture, cayreful-like, and suddens I sees a thynge aint no goode Chrystian awt to be seein'. It wert a dragonne of hell an it cayme all fyr and brymston out de skye-like and it fly and settle abowt my lord's new hall an set the thacht alicht an byrnt to the grownd. Then as it cayme it went, ta westwird, to Modron's Woode."

Manye othirs of goodlye charactir too saw the beest and I am graytlye worried for the futur of my lord's manor. The symple folke always say: Dragonns always stryke twyce in the saym playce. Is ther anye truth to such claymes? Shouldst we abandon the lande for wayste?

Yours in grayte fear,

Father Brugyn of Tisburye

No comments: