To his lordship, Ulfius, The War Duke of Silchester, be this lettre tayke.
May the lyght of Jesu shyne for you in these darke tymes, my olde friend. These paste sixe years synce the passyng of my dearlye departed husbande, your friend and my lord the Earl of Salysburye, Roderick, have been trynge and frauwt wyth peryl moste grayve. I guard the inherytance of my son with what modest womanlye skill that I have.
Synce the regencye began, I had been given grayt counsel by a host of worthye loyal knychts. Three had risen to the fore, and they are Sir Tremayne, Sir Cassius, and Sir Loric. Such skill they wrought at keepynge the devvil Saxons at bay that the other lordss of Salysburye have taken to calling them the Triumvirate, as if they were Consuls of Rome!
The Triumvirate were instrumental in routynge owt the traytorous Sir Hwyel, Sir Jaradan, and theyre fellows. It is with grayte sadness that I report that two of the Triumvirate hath fallen, whilst stopping a shipment of Saxon arms to the traitor DuPlain. His castle, which once gardded our southeyrn border, is now a vassal holding of King Cerdic of occuypied Hampshyr. Sir Tremayne and Sir Loric wert gloriouese knichtes, whose shouldyrs bore the weight of poor Salysburye for manye years. Trulye Our Lorde Jesu hath a playce in heavvin for such as like these two brayve men.
I am also loathe to report that, even with a shippment of siege equipage from our good friend to the North, his lordship, the King of Sugales, we were unable to break DuPlain from his fastness and had to lyft siege for the Winter. We shall try again come sprynge and with Jesu's grayce, we shall be victorioius in routing the last traitor of my son's Countye.
For this reason, I am gratlye sorrowed that I cannot send good fytinge men to your worthye cause. The defense of Huntyngdun and the East is of utmoste importaunce, and tho I cannot spayre the bone and synew of Salysburyemen, I can send this wagon trayne of goods and treasyre to help fund your good effort. In this I am your ally and servant, and know that my son, Robert, Ryghtful Count of Salysburye, supports you.
For the memorye of Sir Tremayne and Sir Loric, I beg your prayers, so that they may come to knowe the bountiful bosom of Our Lady in Hivvin.
Yours in undyinge faith,
Ellen of Sarum
Countess and Regent of Salysburye
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment