Sir Aradin,
Much has happened since last we spoke. I am saddened to hear that you have taken ill this past winter and such were not able to attend court. I am afraid without your guiding hand, I made quite a saxon out of myself, failing at nary every activity offered. You would of turned away to see my pitiful attempts to dance and make revelry. But I pledge next at next court to show to all that you have taught your old squire well!
This spring I rode with Earl Roderick and King Uther Pendragon to face the rebellious Duke Gorlois of Cornwall. You would of been proud to see me take two of three lances in joust the traitorous knight, Sir Marak. I kept my head back and eyes open, just as you taught me. We had been marching together, when his entire retinue stopped and refused to enter the Duchy Cornwall; enraged and this disloyalty to King Uther, I called them cowardous rats, less loyal than the mangiest, mistreated dog. Sir Marak accepted my challenge and we began our abated joust. After taking the first two passes, he struck me true with the luckiest of blows. I now realize losing this final lance was quite fortunate, for it allowed Sir Marak to bow out defeated, but with a saving grace. For I am told he is quite ill tempered, and our contest could of easily led to full battle and I would of never forgiven myself should I have slain him when our mission to to reign in rebellious knight rather than kill them. A dead Cymric serves King Uther nothing in his divine mission to rid our land of saxons.
Victorious as I was, I was disheartened that my strength could do nothing to stop the withdrawal of those traitorous knights, leaving us half in number to face Duke Gorlois. I was riding head bowed, when we came upon the Duke's men...
Preparing for battle, King Uther draw his sword, reveling the Sword of Power!!! I could not believe my eyes, nor could our enemy; for they immediately submitted, and Duke Gorlois bowed before King Uther and the Sword. This proves Earl Roderick is correct in supporting King Uther as high king, for with the Sword in his hands, Uther is surely destined by God's mandate to rid our shores of this vile invasion once and for all!
Rejoicing, we feasted together and made merry. Oddly, upon waking we found the Duke and his men had snuck away in the middle of the night. But King Uther was nether surprised nor upset, instead we immediately turned away and rode north to face a saxon raiding party.
If you have any news or insights upon this odd occurrence, please share them with me next we speak, but knowing the Sword of Power is found and in the true kings hands, I am confident this foreign curse will soon be lifted from our land.
Your faithful student,
Sir Samuel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment