Monday, January 14, 2008

490

To my dearest wife Abigail,

I write to let you know that I am safe after a great battle. Riding in the army for the Great king Uther we vanquished the large Saxon army of King Octa. King Octa actually had a giant on his side! One day I will take down a giant it is my fate. The battle was a long struggle but we did prevail.

We charged into battle and the Saxons being on foot felt our mighty charge, I have to give them credit for bravery they stood their ground as 2000 mounted knights bared down upon them. In the heat of battle at first my unit fought some poor weak Saxon slaves armed with primate weapons. I felt sorry for these poor wretched creatures, they fell easily at the hands of our mighty swords. Then we encountered Javelin throwers, the javelin throwers took down many knights in our unit there were only 2 remaining knights myself and my unit commander. The resistance stiffened and we fought some real Saxons with large axes. Our unit was completely surrounded. One of them got lucky and knocked me from my horse. Things looked grave until King Ulfius felled the Giant on the Saxon. This caused the Saxon army to collapse and run. We chased after them as they were running and came across the standard bearer for the entire Saxon army. It was a wolf’s head mounted on a pull. My unit commander and I closed on the 2 experienced Saxons. With a mighty strike they felled my unit commander and it was only me standing against 2 Saxon warriors. The cowards even teamed up on me, but little did they know that with my strength and courage they did not stand a chance. First one went down, the other gave me a blow in the side and with the last strength in my body I struck the other with a mighty blow to the head, I was surprised he could stood after such a blow, but it was such a horrific blow the Saxon could not continue and I took him prisoner and captured the Saxon standard.

King Uther was so pleased with the capture of the Standard he rewarded me very nicely. King Uther is holding court in London where I must join him I will return to you; I will buy you a nice gift and will back with you shortly.

Yours Truly,
William de Clovile III
September 490

No comments: