Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Squire Gwinas Sends a Letter Home


In the Yeare of Our Lorde 485, to Baverstock Manor be this lettre tayke.

To my moste honorable mother, the Lady Branne. I am pleased to dictayte this lettre to this upryght scrybe who is in the moste excellent service to our Lord Roderick, Earl of Salisbury. Know then that upon your readynge of this lettre I am fyn and in goodlye healthe, of sound mynde and bodye. My sprits are high at the moment, as my goodlye companyons, the most excellente squires, Gerin of Wylyeyee and Llyr of Wynterbourne , and your son, that is, myself, are about to embarke on a grande adventyre of grayte importaunce to all of Salisbury.

But firste I must relayte a humerous tale that you, my lovynge mothyr must tell my sisters, as I know they are wont of good tellynges of tales that make them laff. I am pleased to tell you that I won the horserace between the beste squires under the care of Sir Elad, the Marshall of our Lord Roderick's entire armye. He presented me with great honour for my excellente horsemanshipe. Do you remember young Gerin of Wyleyeeye Manor, not too far from Baverstock? Well, he fell three tymes durynge the race and I nearlye laffed so hard that I almoste fell myself! I thyng I am going to calle him "Thumpity Thump" for a goodly long time. Thumpity Thump Gerin he shall be!

Llyr of Wynterborne came in seconds and wert an goodlye rider. He had a ruff patch tryinge to control that most excellente courser he inherited from his father' stables. I am jealous for the owning of such a lovely steed is surely a sign of grayte honour. Thems from Winterbournes always been a goodly ridynge bunch, and I learn moste from just watchinge him ride.
In a shorte tyme, my mother, your son and his companions will be off to the vilage of Imber up north a ways where we'll meet a priest of God. We are to hunt a terrifynge Bear who hath been eatynge peasants. I know that we will fynde this greate beaste and the three Companyons will end his terror.

For now I leave you, my moste honorable mother, with great joy and peace. May God be with you and my sisters.

Your Gwinas, at Vagon Castle, in Sir Elad's land.

No comments: